Next we get the site built.
Set up your site
First, go to your HostGator control panel, often referred to as the “c panel”.
You will need the user name and password you chose when you registered for their hosting
The url will be: www.yourdomainname.com/cpanel
When you arrive, the page will look something like this:
Now you need to find “QuickInstall”, so scroll down the page to the heading “Software/Services.”
Look for the clock face and words,“QuickInstall”
Now to install WordPress
When the new page opens, click on the text in the left hand panel that says, “Wordpress.”
- Click on “New Installation”
- Fill in the boxes with a site name (changeable) and user name (fixed) of your choosing.
- Add your contact email – check it is correct!
- Then click “Install WordPress”
- Assuming there is nothing wrong with the information you see, click on “Install now”.
- You will see a green line grow across the screen from left to right, and when it gets to 100% you will see the admin link to the back of your site, your name and a password.
- Copy the password then click on the link.
- Usually you will get to a log in page where you will add the name you chose a few moments ago, and paste the password to log in.
- You will also get this information emailed to you. Save it carefully!
No sign of a log in screen? Don’t panic!
From time to time it takes a few minutes to a few hours for the new name servers to “take”. There is nothing you can do to speed this process up, unfortunately. You just have to be patient… so go and make a cup of tea, take a walk, and come back again in a little while and try to log in again.
When your log in screen finally does appear:
Check “Remember Me” if you are on a private computer
Click “Log In”
At the lop left click on “View Site”.
You have a WordPress web site!