Adding pages to your site is easy!
In the side bar, click on Pages>Add New
- Add a title to your page and then click on “Save draft” on the top right hand side. This will save your work as you go along until you are ready to publish the page.
- Anything you write in the large text box in the middle will appear on this page when viewed from your site.
- Notice that there are two tabs at the top right of the box, ‘Visual’ and ‘Text’. Normally you will work in ‘visual’ mode, which works much like any word processing software. If you need to add some code, open the ‘Text’ tab then paste in onto the page. The two pages are different sides of the same information, but one shows the coding and the other doesn’t.
- In the editing toolbar at the top of the text edit area you will see the icons for altering the text, making text bold or italic, adding lists, etc. Spell check is under the ABC button. If you only see one line of tools, click on this icon to reveal the rest of the toolbar:
- You can add whatever you like to your page – text, photos, videos, etc.
- (If your photo files are too big they may not upload. If this happens make your photo files smaller using a free resource like the one that can be found here.)
- When you are finished, click on the “Publish” button to take your page live
Don’t forget, you can keep making changes to a page (then click on “Update”)
- If you don’t like a page, rework it until you like the way it looks
- If you completely hate a page you created, delete it! (Click on the red “move to trash” link just in front of the “Publish” button.)
- Keep exploring and trying new things. You can’t break anything or hurt yourself, but you will learn from everything you try
Adding a page to the navigation bar
In order to get pages to appear, you first have to create a menu, and then add the pages to it in the pattern you like.
Start by going to Appearances>Menus
At the top you will be asked to create a menu. You can call it whatever you like, but I usually name it according to the location where it will be used.
- As you create pages they will appear in the “Pages” box on the left.
- You can select any – or all – of them and click on the “Add to Menu” button.
- Drag and drop the pages into the sequence you want.
- If you drop them slightly to the right of the one above, they form the ‘drop down’ element of the menu
- If you want to add a link out to another site, click on “Custom Links” and follow the instructions to add this link to your navigation bar
- Don’t forget to save your menu before you leave this page
To add a blog post
• Go to Posts>Add New
• Write whatever is on your mind in the text editing box, as you did when adding content to your pages
N.B. “Posts” are published sequentially on just one page – the one you assigned as you post page on the “Reading” page
• Go ahead and start writing!
• The text you wrote will appear on your page when it is saved
If you need help please email me.